Made for More: Leadership
The demand for leaders in our lifetime seems to be at an all-time high, ever more pressing is the need for not just any leaders but spiritual leaders. Leaders that will grab hold of the John 15:16. I choose and appointed you.
You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.”
John 15:16 NKJV
Definition of Leadership
· Simplest form: The ability to influence others...nothing more
· The bones of leadership it's influence.
The word God should be our lead guidebook. If our pursuit is spiritual leadership our default button always needs to lead us back to the Bible.
How do you get to a place where others desire, flock to influencers?
Foundational need as a Leaders is Empathy. The ability to share and understand the feelings of others
There is a compassionate element at play. The sympathetic concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
Truth - when Spirit led leaders begin operating, the title led driving leaders will become exposed!!
Matthew 7:15 Jesus said it best - "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. Secretly titlled-driven desiring the status, prestige, power over people etc...
However the Lord said you will begin to pinpoint these individuals by their fruits.
“They said to me, “Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.” When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.”
As a leader of the person in the mirror
There has been a lack of development!
Lack of development which over time produces a false impression of what the Lord qualified and desire for us to be as leaders of our lives and people.
I Samuel 10:8 “You shall go down before me to Gilgal; and surely I will come down to you to offer burnt offerings and make sacrifices of peace offerings. Seven days you shall wait, till I come to you and show you what you should do.””
Spiritual Leaders implement a... (Individual)
o Discipline and purposeful study life
* The days of reading His word without direction or purpose are limited. The position requires for the more. Intimacy. Or you will be exposed...
* Hebrews 4:12 - “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
* If when you speak and the words you share never pierce, never move folks to change, where their soul and spirit are shook. You've been exposed! There is no evidence of a purposeful study life so the power of God is never manifested.
o Retreat filled prayer life
* Over 25x on separate occasions Jesus was found in prayer whether corporately or Individually. You need more than just a prayer life!
* You have to turn off the chatter. There are similarities during Jesus ministry that are seen today, however many contrast and one is location /environment.
* Luke 5:15-16 - “However, the report went around concerning Him all the more; and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities. So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed.”
* The more the Lord elevates you and uses you for the Kingdom, the further and the more you need to retreat to Him.
* Moses - Pillar of Tent - Exedous 33:9
o Accountability North & South and East & West relationship
* 1 Thessalonians 5:11-15 NIV - “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. “Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.”
When leading others, Leaders must...(Corporate)
· Be ready to Sacrifice (February)
· Take Ownership and Be able to say sorry that's on me. (March)
o 2 Samuel 24:17 NIV - “When David saw the angel who was striking down the people, he said to the LORD, “I have sinned; I, the shepherd, have done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? Let your hand fall on me and my family.””
o Leaders take the hit. Responsibility
· Be spirit filled (January)
· Guard against complacency in their leadership development/style/approach (April)
· Set a group standard but shepherd their flock uniquely. It's not. One size fit all model (May)
· Celebrate the team victories and recognize the individual successes (December)
· Be honest and trustworthy (November)
· Not shy away from tension filled moments that produce clarity and growth (October)
· Be filled with compassion and empathy (Foundation)
· Receive be able to receive constructive feedback or criticism (September)
· Remain Holy and pure (June)
· Be ready for the 3am (August)
· Strain for consistency (July)
I Timothy 3:1-7
“Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.”
II Chronicles 16:9
” For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is perfect toward Him…”